Sunday, April 4, 2010

Scenes from a Philadelphia changing room.

Shopping in Philadelphia during spring break is like running with wildebeests in a stampede, except you're trying to go the opposite direction. Here are some conversations I heard during my much needed retail therapy:

Girl #1: That ain't a dress
Girl #2: Yes, it is!
Girl#1: No, it ain't! That's a shirt!
Girl #2: Ma'am, is this a dress?
Stranger: Yeah.
Girl #1: Aight, but you bend over and people gonna see yo' business.
Girl#2: Well ya know what? Rise and shine! And you can't wear that-you look like an oompa loompa.

And from the Express in Liberty Place.

Girl #1: Linda! Where's the baby?

I'd like to take a moment of silence for my Phillies cap. Though you were free, given to me by a snotty bride back in my awful catering days, I treasured you as if you were worth all the tacky center pieces and left over pastries I was allowed to bring home from the National Constitution Center. I hope wherever you are in the continental United States, someone is wearing you with pride, ready for opening day.

Someone also kicked my suitcase two minutes after I landed in Philly...and I smiled. I love this town.

"I'll leave you with the tv- America's nightlight."~KS

No comments: