Thursday, November 27, 2008

Flight Patterns

There were about ten people in front of me and a zillion people behind me in the security line at the Philadelphia Airport. I blame this on the fact that there was no expert flyer line for professional travelers such as myself. Suddenly, the security guard suddenly decided to lift one of those black ropes, as if opening the golden gates of heaven. Yes! I silently cried. Surely, today I had chosen the right line. I mean, she basically opened this x-ray machine just for me! Clearly, she can recognize people who are experienced in airport security protocol and realized that I should not have to wait behind these "casual flyers". Alas, as I followed the three girls into this imagined VIP line, it became apparent that these women were not just "casual flyers", but "never-been-on-one-of-these-flying-machines-in-my- life flyers". "Oh, wait, I left my laptop in there!" "Oh, I have to take off my shoes?" "I didn't bring a bag for my liquids" "Wait, where's my boarding pass". As I stood there, shoes in hand, coat off, freezer bag of make-up in hand, invisible tears rained in my heart as I watched people sail through the original line as if they had a fast pass at Disney. Good grief.

"Now we're talking with gas."~BVH on attitude of meaning...or something.

No comments: